Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) is a common, noncancerous condition that can develop in men as they age. BPH causes your prostate gland to grow larger than normal and can affect your ability to urinate. It is estimated that nearly 45 percent of men in their 50's experience symptoms related to BPH and affects nearly 90 percent of men by the time they reach their 70's and 80's.
Normally, the prostate gland is the size of a walnut and is located below your bladder, surrounding the urethra, the tube that carries urine from your body. When BPH develops, your prostate can grow to about the size of a tangerine or orange, and in some cases, even larger. This growth can restrict the flow of urine from your bladder, causing urinary symptoms to develop.
Common BPH symptoms include increased urinary frequency and urgency, a weakened urinary stream, difficulty emptying your bladder and more frequent trips to the bathroom during the night.
If left untreated, symptoms are likely to worsen and may have a significant impact on your quality of life. Over time, damage to your bladder and/or kidneys may also occur. There are several treatments available for BPH including oral medications, lifestyle modifications and procedure-based options. The goal of any of these treatments is to reduce your urinary symptoms and to preserve your bladder and prostate health. Your urologist will help you select the treatment plan that is right for you.
Information about several treatment options for BPH can be found using the links below:
- Lisek, Ernst, MDIntegrated Oncology Program, UrologyNaperville, Winfield
- Merrick, Paul, MDUrology, Integrated Oncology ProgramLisle, Naperville, Winfield
- Smith, Craig, MD, FAAP, FACSUrology, Integrated Oncology Program, Robotic Surgery ProgramLombard, Naperville, Winfield
- Ung, Jean, MDUrology, Integrated Oncology ProgramNaperville, Winfield
- Patel, Amit, MDUrology, Integrated Oncology Program, Robotic Surgery ProgramHinsdale, Lisle
- Jirschele, Cameron, DOUrology, Integrated Oncology ProgramLisle, Lombard
- Fakouri, Bejan, MDIntegrated Oncology Program, UrologyHinsdale, Lombard, Naperville
- Lyon, Paul, MDUrology, Integrated Oncology Program, Robotic Surgery ProgramNaperville, Plainfield
- Seo, Robert, MDUrology, Integrated Oncology ProgramHinsdale, Naperville
- Miocinovic, Ranko, MDUrology, Integrated Oncology Program, Robotic Surgery ProgramLisle, Lombard
- Milhouse, Fenwa, MDUrology, Robotic Surgery ProgramBlue Island, Hinsdale, Lombard, Tinley Park
- Desai, Vikas, MDUrology, Integrated Oncology Program, Robotic Surgery ProgramHoffman Estates, Itasca, Naperville
- Baughman, Steven, MDUrology, Integrated Oncology Program, Robotic Surgery ProgramLisle, Naperville
- Kadow, Brian, MDUrology, Robotic Surgery Program, Integrated Oncology ProgramHinsdale, Lisle