10 Reasons to Avoid Tanning Beds
Before going to a tanning salon, take a look at some alarming reasons to stay away permanently.
- Tanners who tan indoors before age 35 have a 75% increased chance of developing melanoma, basal cell carcinoma, and squamous cell carcinoma.
- UV rays from tanning beds are more dangerous than natural sun exposure. In fact, tanning beds emit three times the UV rays emitted by the sun.
- A study from The Journal of American Academy of Dermatology discovered traces of bacteria that are found in fecal matter on tested tanning beds due to inconsistent sterilization.
- Tanning in tanning beds can cause eye conditions such as photokeratitis, photo conjunctivitis, inflammation of the cornea, and conjunctiva. More serious conditions include cataracts and tumors that develop on the surface of the eye.
- Excessive exposure to UV rays in tanning beds have been proven to lower the immune system, making the body vulnerable to disease.
- Tanning beds that are not sufficiently cleaned and disinfected between uses can result in the spread of diseases (example: staph infections) and some sexually transmitted diseases (example: warts, HPV, and herpes).
- Ultraviolet (UV) radiation is the most prominent and universal cancer causing agent in our environment. UV solar radiation, sun lamps, and tanning beds are known to be “human carcinogens,” according to The US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, and National Toxicology Program.
- Tanning causes premature aging of the skin, typically developing leather-like texture. Sagging skin, wrinkles, and sun spots may also develop due to UV exposure.
- According to the FDA and CDC, there is no such thing as a “safe” tanning bed.
- This year alone, the FDA estimates that 38,000 people will be diagnosed with melanoma in the United States and 7,300 people will die from this condition.
Looking for alternatives? Air brush tanning is becoming more popular and self-tanners available at the drugstore keep getting better.
The safest thing you can do for you and your skin is to wear sun screen daily and avoid tanning salons.