Tips to Avoid Millennial Burnout
How to Stay Healthy and Energized as a Young Adult
From the foods you consume to how you process everyday stress, the choices you make impact your physical and emotional health. Incorporating healthy habits and making small adjustments to your daily routine can go a long way in promoting sustained health.
Fuel your life with a healthy diet
Our on-the-go lifestyle can make maintaining a balanced, healthy diet seem impossible. Eating nutrient-rich foods and staying properly hydrated are essential to maintaining good health. Including a few extra steps over the weekend can save your some time during the week. Try incorporating these prep-steps into your weekend routine:
- Pre-portion your breakfasts, lunches and snacks to grab and go in the morning
- Plan your meals and prep ingredients over the weekend to make weeknight meals in a snap
- Stock your desk drawer with healthy fats, such as nuts or nut butters, to fuel afternoon brain power
Creative ways to exercise
Back-to-back meetings, pending deadlines and late nights out with friends can make it difficult to find the time and energy to exercise. While we all know that regular exercise benefits your health, some days are harder than others to fit it in. Get creative with how and where you work out.
- Challenge yourself with countertop push-ups while you brew your morning coffee
- Practice backward leg kicks as you brush your teeth
- Take ten minutes and walk the stairs during your lunch break
- Give your leg muscles a good stretch at your desk by raising your legs to meet the tips of your fingers
- Relieve tension in your shoulders by extending your arm across your chest while applying gentle pressure near your elbow
The importance of quality sleep
Getting a good night of sleep can do wonders for your overall health and outlook on life. Incorporating even a few healthy sleep habits can help you feel well-rested and ready to take on the day.
- Go to bed at the same time every night and create a bedtime ritual. Over time, your body will begin to associate these activities with turning off for the day and resting.
- Lower the temperature and dim the lights. Cooler temps and darkness support a better night of rest.
- Avoid a late-afternoon caffeinated pick-me-up. Caffeine stays in your system for hours and can interfere with your ability to fall asleep.
Balance the stress and anxiety
We all experience moments of stress in our lives. Sustained periods of anxiety can impact the way your body functions and your overall health. Learning to manage stress and anxiety can have a lasting impact on your mental well-being and your physical health.
- Practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing, meditation or yoga
- Eat a balanced diet including complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, proteins, fruits and vegetables
- Aim to get seven to eight hours of sleep each night
Establish a relationship with a primary care physician
As you enter adulthood, it is important to take ownership of your health care. Establishing a relationship with a family or internal medicine physician as a young adult is essential to maintaining your health for years to come.
The demands of life are inevitable. Prioritizing your health by taking care of your body, making a few key diet and lifestyle changes and incorporating more healthy habits, can help you sustain a healthy life. For more tips on achieving a healthy lifestyle, please visit DuPageMedicalGroup.com.