Tips & Tricks to Keep Your Bladder Healthy
Your bladder helps discard waste from your body and is a critical organ in the urinary system. The bladder is made up of smooth muscle that stores urine and gets rid of it at the proper time. Learn a few tips and tricks on how to keep your bladder healthy.
- Focus on your fluid intake and drink at least 6-8 glasses of fluid each day.
- Follow a healthy diet: this will help you avoid constipation which can push down onto the bladder. This can lead to difficulty emptying the bladder and/or the development of overactive bladder symptoms.
- Practice pelvic floor exercises: the pelvic floor helps control the storage and release of urine.
Avoid infections by:
- Emptying bladder regularly and completely.
- Cranberry juice is a bladder protective. Use over-the-counter cranberry tablets which have less sugar than cranberry juice and provide a better concentration of the active ingredient.
- Slightly acidic urine can discourage infections. Taking vitamin C or drinking barley water can be easy ways to keep your urine slightly acidic. Use no more than 1000 mg of vitamin C daily.
- Sexually active women can be prone to frequent bladder infections. Women should empty their bladder immediately after intercourse. Additionally, avoid the use of spermicides and douches.
If you are experiencing issues with your bladder or urinary tract, schedule an appointment with a DMG urologist by calling 630-790-1221.