Aakash Chauhan, MD, MBA
My philosophy is to use a team approach to partner with my patients and develop their treatment plan through shared decision making. I also want my patients to be fully educated about their diagnosis and all of the treatment options available to them, both non-surgical and surgical. It is a privilage to meet patients and be able to provide care for them.
- Hand and Upper Extremity
Accepts both children and adults
I have advanced fellowship training that allows me to care for the entire upper extremity. This includes hand, elbow, and shoulder orthopaedic conditions. Whether it is a carpal tunnel release or fixing a broken finger in the hand, to arthroscopic repair of a torn rotator cuff or replacing an arthritic shoulder, my goal is to provide comprehensive upper extremity care to my patients.
Anatomic total shoulder replacement, Arthroscopic labral repair, Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, Carpal tunnel syndrome, Cubital tunnel syndrome, Distal biceps tendon injuries, Fractures of the clavicle, shoulder, humerus, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand, fingers, Ganglion cysts, Hand/Finger masses, Reverse total shoulder replacement, Rotator cuff tears, Shoulder arthritis, Shoulder arthroscopy, Shoulder labral tears, Shoulder replacement surgery, TFCC tears, Thumb arthritis, Thumb arthritis surgery, Triceps tendon injuries, Wrist arthroscopy
I enjoy spending time with my family, staying active by hiking and traveling, sports and fantasy football.
School Indiana University School of Medicine
Graduation Date 05/2011
Degree Medical Degree
School Allegheny General Hospital
Title Orthopaedic Surgery Resident
School Scripps Clinic
Specialty Shoulder and Sports Medicine
School University of California San Diego School of Medicine
Specialty Hand, Upper Extremity and Microvascular Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- Emerging Leaders Program, American Orthopedic Association (AOA)
Name 2018 American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine Fellow Research Award in Clinical Science
Name Ruben F. Gittes Annual Department of Surgery Award for Fellow Research, Scripps Clinic Medical Group
Name Clinician Scholar Development Program, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
Name Intramural Research Training Award, National Institutes of Health
- Chauhan A, Tam J, Porter AJ, Challa S, Early S, D’Angelo J, Keefe D, Hoenecke H, Fronek J. Professional Advancement, Performance, and Injury Characteristics of Baseball Players Entering the Major League Baseball Draft after Treatment for Shoulder Injuries. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2018. PMID: 30290986.
- Hubbard J, Chauhan A, Fitzgerald RF, Abrams RA, Mubarak S, Sangimino M. Missed Pediatric Monteggia Injuries. JBJS Rev 2018. Jun;6(6):e2. PMID: 29870420.
- Chauhan A, Sikora-Klak J, Abrams RA. Dynamic “Home-Made” Digital External Fixators for Proximal Interphalangeal Joint Injuries. J Hand Surg Am 2018. S0363-5023(17)31675-1. PMID: 29751977.
- Chauhan A, Slipak A, Altman D, Altman G. There is No Difference between Bracing and No Bracing after Open Reduction Internal Fixation of Tibial Plateau Fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2018; 26(6): e134-e141. PMID: 29517625
- Chauhan A, Miller MD, Schimoler P, Ruch D, Baratz ME. A Cadaveric Biomechanical Analysis of Three Lateral Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstructions. J Orthop Trauma 2017. PMID: 29065040
- Maher M, Chauhan A, Altman GT, Westrick ER. The Acute Management and Associated Complications of Major Injuries of the Talus. JBJS Reviews 2017. PMID: 28671875
- Regal S, Chauhan A, Tang P. The Radial Aspect of the Distal Radial Metaphysis/Diaphysis as a Source of Cortical Bone Graft. J Hand Surg Am 2017. PMID: 28533002
- Butler M, Chauhan A, Merrell G, Greenberg J. Establishing the Appropriate Position of Proximal Humerus Locking Plates: A Cadaveric Study of Five Plating Systems and their Anatomic Reference Measurements. Shoulder and Elbow 2017. PMID: 29276536
- Chauhan A, Schimoler P, Miller M, Kharlamov A, Merrell G, Palmer B. Comparing Biomechanical Properties, Repair Times, and Value of Common Core Flexor Tendon Repairs. HAND 2017. PMID: 28423932
- Duerr R, Chauhan A, Frank D, Demeo P, Akhavan S. An Algorithm for Diagnosing and Managing Primary and Recurrent Patellar Instability. JBJS Reviews 2016 Sept 13; 4(9). PMID: 27760074
- Tang P, Hoellwarth J, Chauhan A. Recurrent Cubital Tunnel Syndrome: Diagnosis, Management, and Treatment Outcomes. JBJS Reviews. 2016 March; 4(3). PMID: 27500436
- Tang P, Chauhan A. Decellular Nerve Allografts. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2015 Nov;23(11):641-7. PMID:26498583
- Chauhan A, Mosier BA, Kelly BJ, Akhavan S, Frank DA. Posterior Shoulder Instability in Athletes. JBJS Reviews. 2015 Aug; 3(8). PMID:27490472
- Chauhan A, Palmer BA, Baratz ME. Arthroscopic-Assisted Elbow Interposition Arthroplasty without Hinged External Fixation: A Novel Surgical Technique and Patient Outcomes. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2015. PMID:25861851
- Chauhan A, Palmer BA, Merrell GA. Flexor Tendon Repairs: Eponyms and Evidence. J Hand Surg Am 2014 Sep;39(9):1846-1853. PMID:25154573
- Chauhan A, Regal S, Frank DA. Hybrid Repair of a Large Crescent Rotator Cuff Tear Using a Modified Speed Bridge and Double Pulley Technique. Arthroscopy Tech 2014 Jun; 3(3):e409-12. PMID:25126513
- Chauhan A, Wigton M, Palmer BA. Necrotizing Fasciitis. J Hand Surg Am 2014;39(8):1598-1601. PMID:24861383
- Chauhan A, Jacobs B, Andoga A, Baratz ME. Extensor Tendon Injuries in Athletes. Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review 2014. Mar;22(1):45-55. PMID:24651290
- Chauhan A, Merrell GA. Functional Outcomes after Non-Surgical Treatment of Distal Radius Fractures. J Hand Surg Am. 2012 Dec; 37(12):2600-2. PMID: 22633225
- Chauhan A, Bowlin TC, Mih AD, Merrell GA. Outcomes after Acute Carpal Tunnel Release in Patients with Distal Radius Fracture Fixation. HAND (NY) 2012. Jun; 7(2):147-5. PMID: 23730232
- Marrero-Amadeo IC, Chauhan A, Warden SJ, Merrell GA. Flexor Tendon Repair with a Knotless Barbed Suture: A Comparative Biomechanical Study. J Hand Surg Am. 2011 Jun 8. PMID:21664072
Patient Satisfaction Rating
The Patient Satisfaction Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our independent rating system, the Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best score. Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey.
Comments are collected in our Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Surveys. Patients are de-identified to protect confidentiality and patient privacy. Learn more about our patient satisfaction survey.