In order to have this procedure, the patient must be able to lie on their stomach. There is a weight limit for the specialized table which is 350 pounds.
PREPARATION CHECKLIST FOR BIOPSY
- Stop taking blood thinning medication 5 days before your biopsy.
- Wear a comfortable, two-piece outfit to your appointment
- Wear a supportive bra to your appointment
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled exam. Each biopsy needs the full amount of time to complete the procedure accurately and safely.
5 DAYS BEFORE BIOPSY
1. Stop taking medications that increase bleeding, such as:
- Aspirin, Advil, Aleve, Ibuprofen or Motrin
- Multivitamins and Vitamin E
- Fish Oil (Omega-3 fatty acids)
- Herbal medicines
If you take a blood-thinning medication such as Coumadin (Warfarin), Plavix, or Lovenox (Heparin injections), Celebrex, etc.. We have to check with your physician for approval to stop these medications.
3. If you think you may need anti-anxiety medication, such as Ativan or Xanax, please call your doctor as soon as possible.
DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE
- Eat a light meal, there are no dietary restrictions.
- Wear a comfortable two-piece outfit to your appointment.
- Wear a supportive bra to your appointment.
- Bathe, but avoid wearing deodorants, powders, or lotions on or near your breast on the day of your procedure. These items can interfere with the interpretation of the images.